Friday, November 21, 2008

My adventures in medication...Otherwise known as the Dope-a-max experiment...

Not to reference The Rash Which Shall Never Again be Named, but because of the past week's adventures I've been taken off my beloved Lamictal...because one of the rare side effects of this otherwise sterling medicine is a rash that can KILL YOU. No, really. So, even though I really don't think the rash was a medication thing, nope nuh-uh bye bye Lamictal.
 
The next up is Topamax, another anticonvulsant which is also a mood stabilizer. Widely known as Dope-a-Max and Stupe-a-Max, this one is known for two common side effects (besides the desired mood stabilization): Making you stupid and making you lose a LOT of weight. The reason they didn't go after it as a weight loss drug is that the side effects can be really pretty bad apparently. Which is ok if the alternative is suicidal depression, but just to lose a few pounds is supposedly not worth it. According to the medical profession...though I know more than a few folks who would argue that being fat is also really depressing, but I think I'm digressing here.
 
I'm hoping for the second, but I'm definitely getting the first. I keep misjudging spatial dimensions, running into doorframes (ow!) forgetting names of my nearest and dearest, and generally being a total spaz.
 
Also, I was warned that stuff would start tasting weird. The first few days were fine, but I got a Pumpkin Latte from 7-11 today (neither pumpkin nor latte, discuss!). It tastes ok at first, but then the aftertaste is ike it has had old pennies soaking in it. Metallic and gross. Then again, my 7-11 is like the ghetto palace of 7-11s, so who knows what really has been sitting in there, really.
 

No comments: