Friday, January 2, 2009

So this is 2009.

I slept in really late today. I can't remember the last time I didn't have to get up and "do stuff" for somebody, be it the kids or the boss. My mental health is absolutely benefiting...

Also, not to repeat myself, but I CANNOT WAIT to get that dishwasher!!! It is absolutely unbelievable how many dishes we can generate. Of course, this *would* be the moment I suffer a baking relapse. I made bread AND Jello cake last night, in a tiny kitchen where I have to wash all the dishes by hand. I also made blackeyed peas and a FANTASTIC pot of collard greens...absolute old fashioned, smoked ham hocks, cook-all-afternoon collard greens.

I think it's partly due to the somewhat retro vibe in this house. It was built in the 1940s, therefore I act the part of the 1940s housewife? At least in my cooking. There has to be something to it, though, because I am cooking (and cleaning) a LOT more than I ever did in the apartment. I never felt settled enough there. Or something. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it? Oh well, I know what I mean even if its hard to explain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those were some damn good collards too. They were heavenly. Oh man were they ever. You have to make those again. It topped bbq joint quality!